Search This Blog

Friday, June 8, 2012

Biblical Prayers, Part 5

Throughout all of my posts in the early stages of Cromulent Thoughts, I have referenced prayer numerous times.  Clearly, prayer is important.  In fact, many times, while mentioning prayer in a post, I have added some form of this tag: “Which I will address in a future post.”  In short, I have hinted at prayer frequently, but really have not written about prayer at all (the closest being the Listening to God post).  This was done on purpose, as I knew the issue of prayer would require a lot of research that I simply did not have time for during the school year.

Postponing these posts proved prophetic.  Since my last post, I have begun researching prayer and all the different directions I could go with it.  I am roughly one-half – to – two-thirds finished with my research…and have 110 pages of notes.  Needless to say, I have my work cut out for me and need more time.  Still, I didn’t want to leave my die-hards hanging (Hi, Mom!!), so I decided to put together an introduction to my future prayer posts.

What I’m giving you this week is a glimpse of all the different prayers provided in the Bible.  This is straight-up NIV scripture.  However…putting this together, I ran into another problem.  The prayer scriptures accumulated over fifty-three pages.  So…in a Cromulent Thoughts first…I am going to provide one post a day this week.  Each day will be roughly ten pages of verbal prayer provided from scripture.

A few notes: I used this site for a lot of help.  It’s actually a pretty cool site, so check it out.  It provides more information than I’m giving here.  According to his site, there are 222 noted prayers in the Bible.  I disagree with him on a few…as I’m sure you’ll disagree with him and/or me on a few.  Current count: I will be providing 126 prayers this week.  Now, technically, one could argue that every psalm is a prayer.  Due to that, I only included Psalm 77 because it’s awesome but long.  I also tried not to include any conversations with God (like Adam and Eve talking with God…Moses…etc).  I also didn’t include any prayers that people prayed to Jesus while He walked the earth—mainly for the sake of space.  Also for space, I tried to stick to just the prayer, so parts of many verses have been edited.  Additionally, if the Bible merely noted that someone prayed, it is not included in this list, or on the site linked above.  The goal is to show actual worded prayer being sent via Biblical Express to the Big Guy.

The purpose of this week is to show how people in the Bible prayed.  These prayers will be referenced a lot in future posts—not just the prayers themselves, but who prayed…why they were praying…how they prayed…how/if their prayer was answered…and how they reacted to answered prayer.  So look for patterns in prayers, and then open your Bibles to find out how (or if) God responded.

Finally, I’m sure I’ve missed some, and I’m sure there are a few that are included that you might consider an Old Testament conversation with God and not a prayer…but cut me some slack.  The Bible is loaded with prayers, and I’m not a biblical scholar.


New Testament
Matthew:
6:9-13 “This, then, is how you should pray:
“‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
 your kingdom come,
your will be done,
    on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts,
    as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
    but deliver us from the evil one.’”

11:25-26 “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children.  Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do.”

26:39, 42 “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will…My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.”

27:46 “Eli, Eli,  lema sabachthani?” (which means “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”).


Mark:
7:34 “Ephphatha!” (which means “Be opened!”).


Luke:
2:29-32 “Sovereign Lord, as you have promised,
    you may now dismiss your servant in peace.
For my eyes have seen your salvation,
    which you have prepared in the sight of all nations:
a light for revelation to the Gentiles,
    and the glory of your people Israel.”

18:11-12 “God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector.  I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.”

18:13 “God, have mercy on me, a sinner.”

23:34 “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”

23:46 “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.”


John:
11:41-42 “Father, I thank you that you have heard me.  I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me.”

12:27-28 “Now my soul is troubled, and what shall I say?  ‘Father, save me from this hour’?  No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour.  Father, glorify your name!”

Chapter 17: “Father, the hour has come.  Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you.  For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him.  Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.  I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do.  And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.
“I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of the world.  They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word.  Now they know that everything you have given me comes from you.  For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them.  They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me.  I pray for them.  I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours.  All I have is yours, and all you have is mine.  And glory has come to me through them.  I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you.  Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one.  While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me.  None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.
“I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them.  I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world.  My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one.  They are not of the world, even as I am not of it.  Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth.  As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world.  For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified.
“My prayer is not for them alone.  I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you.  May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.  I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one — I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity.  Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.
“Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.
“Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me.  I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.”


Acts:
1:24-25 “Lord, you know everyone’s heart.  Show us which of these two you have chosen to take over this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he belongs.”

3:6 “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you.  In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”

4:24-30 “Sovereign Lord,” they said, “you made the heavens and the earth and the sea, and everything in them.  You spoke by the Holy Spirit through the mouth of your servant, our father David:
“‘Why do the nations rage
    and the peoples plot in vain?
The kings of the earth rise up
    and the rulers band together
against the Lord
    and against his anointed one.’
Indeed Herod and Pontius Pilate met together with the Gentiles and the people of Israel in this city to conspire against your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed.  They did what your power and will had decided beforehand should happen.  Now, Lord, consider their threats and enable your servants to speak your word with great boldness.  Stretch out your hand to heal and perform signs and wonders through the name of your holy servant Jesus.”

7:59-60 “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit…Lord, do not hold this sin against them.”


Revelation:
4:8 “‘Holy, holy, holy
is the Lord God Almighty,’
who was, and is, and is to come.”

4:11 “You are worthy, our Lord and God,
    to receive glory and honor and power,
for you created all things,
    and by your will they were created
    and have their being.”

5:12 “Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain,
    to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength
    and honor and glory and praise!”

5:13 “To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb
    be praise and honor and glory and power,
for ever and ever!”

6:10 “How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?”

7:10 “Salvation belongs to our God,
who sits on the throne,
and to the Lamb.”

7:12 “Amen!
Praise and glory
and wisdom and thanks and honor
and power and strength
be to our God for ever and ever.
Amen!”

19:1-8 “Hallelujah!
Salvation and glory and power belong to our God,
     for true and just are his judgments.
He has condemned the great prostitute
    who corrupted the earth by her adulteries.
He has avenged on her the blood of his servants.”
And again they shouted:
“Hallelujah!
The smoke from her goes up for ever and ever.”
The twenty-four elders and the four living creatures fell down and worshiped God, who was seated on the throne. And they cried:
“Amen, Hallelujah!”
Then a voice came from the throne, saying:
“Praise our God,
    all you his servants,
you who fear him,
    both great and small!”
Then I heard what sounded like a great multitude, like the roar of rushing waters and like loud peals of thunder, shouting:
“Hallelujah!
    For our Lord God Almighty reigns.
Let us rejoice and be glad
    and give him glory!
For the wedding of the Lamb has come,
    and his bride has made herself ready.
Fine linen, bright and clean,
    was given her to wear.”

22:20 “Yes, I am coming soon.”
Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment