Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Hello

I don't really know how to start this.  Writing a blog...posting my thoughts...has been something I've wanted to do for a long time.  A few years, in fact.  Something has always held me back.  I'm a teacher, for one...and I take that role seriously.  I often get criticized because whenever I step outside of my house, or put something out there on Facebook, I act as if my students are watching...reading...listening.  Maybe it's overkill.  Maybe it's unnecessary.  I don't care.  My students are eighth graders.  When they leave my room, they step ever closer to the edge of adulthood.  My job is more than showing them how to improve their writing skills.  My job is to show them what an adult looks like...sounds like...acts like.  Whether they admit it or not, it's at this age when they really begin observing adults AS adults.  They start forming an idea of what being an adult is based on how the adults in their lives behave.

I cannot--I will not--fail them.

At the same time, I'm a writer.  I need to write.  I need to sit down at a computer and allow my fingers to fly over the keyboard.  I will find myself sitting on the couch, watching TV, and my fingers tap uncontrollably.  They want to type.  There are so many thoughts swirling in my head, and I feel if I can just get them down, my head will clear and I can focus on bigger and better things. But...I don't always know if those are things I want my students past/present to read.  What if I say something that affects how they think of me in a negative way.  I'm not much on perceptions--but I STRIVE for their respect.  What if I say something to lose that respect?  What if I say something that offends one of them?  What if I say something that skews their vision of an adult?

The other thing that held me back was my pastor, of all people.  I had an idea a couple years ago of writing a blog for our church.  I wanted it to be challenging.  Christians can get comfortable--too comfortable sometimes--and I wanted something that pushed them.  Pushed me.  In short, I kind of got shot down.  Basically, what he told me was--no one reads blogs.

Maybe he's right.  Heck...he's probably right.  Maybe no one will read a single one of these posts.  I guess we'll see.  What I do know is that I'm stealing the notion from my brother Joe (joeringle.blogspot.com) and his wife, Christen (christenringle.blogspot.com).  As you (if there IS a you) will see...something powerful is moving right now, and I have to get it out there.

Will all of my posts be faith-based?  Probably not.  But there's a fire burning inside that is screaming to come out--and I can't fight it any longer.  With that...I present Cromulent Thoughts:

No comments:

Post a Comment